Former prime minister Najib Razak claims the government ignored numerous warnings from the health ministry about the worsening state of the country’s Covid-19 crises en route to the current full lockdown.
In yesterday’s televised announcement, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin had defended the current full lockdown and stated that it had helped Malaysia “avoid a catastrophe”.
In a Facebook post, Najib said, “a government that values the lives of the rakyat and loves the country will make the right decisions guided by data and science, ad will not ignore the warnings from the government ministries themselves.”
He said there had been plenty of opportunities for the government to implement a full lockdown this year, which Putrajaya failed to do.
“Why did the PN-led government not impose a total lockdown on April 21, when news cases consistently hit the health ministry’s projection of 3,000 cases a day, but instead raised its projection to 5,000 cases?”
Moreover, Najib stated on May 2 the health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had warned that ICU bed usage was at a critical level, and on May 12 the ministry had raise the projection to 9,00 cases.
He added, “here we were, waiting for more than a month while the health ministry repeatedly raised its projections and repeatedly gave warnings.”
“The government only acted after the critical situation turned into a disaster and the disaster turned into an even bigger disaster.”
In the post, Najib asked, “has the PN government ever thought about how many lives could have been saved, how many billions in business losses could have been prevented and how much suffering and destruction could have been avoided if the government had made the right decisions?”